In 1926, exactly 90 years ago today, Kaufman-Straus Co. was advertising bridal gifts at its Fourth Street department store in The Courier-Journal. There were Venetian Glass Compotes ($4 to $15) and Titian Ware Tea Sets ($27.50). Plus, hats with exotic names: Milans, Bangkoks and Viscas, all starting at $10 — a sum equivalent to $135 in today’s dollars.
Kaufman-Straus’ Louisville story began in 1879 and ended, sadly, in 1971. But the flagship building is still at 427-437 South Fourth, now housing offices. The University of Louisville archives includes some wonderful period photos of the department store in its collection of two million photos, manuscripts and other documents.