This year’s will be the first since the Louisville native, prize fighter and globally famous humanitarian Muhammad Ali died, in June in Phoenix, after a decades-long battle against Parkinson’s disease. He was buried a week later at Cave Hill Cemetery during a funeral that drew luminaries from government, politics and entertainment across the world.
He and his wife Lonnie co-founded the Ali Center, which opened in November 2005, and attended each of the previous year’s Muhammad Ali Humanitarian Awards. She will speak at this year’s ceremony, and present several of the awards. The honorees:
- Philanthropist and businesswoman Cindy Hensley McCain (top photo, left) will receive the Muhammad Ali Humanitarian Award for Lifetime Achievement; she is the wife of Arizona Sen. John McCain.
- Academy Award-winning actor and humanitarian Louis Gossett Jr. (top, right) will get the Muhammad Ali Humanitarian Award for Education.
- Tony Award-winning actress, singer and activist Sheryl Lee Ralph will receive the Muhammad Ali Humanitarian Award for Global Citizenship.
- Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter and humanitarian Jon Secada will be honored with the Muhammad Ali Humanitarian of the Year Award.
- John Rosenberg of Prestonburg, Ky., an attorney and founding director of the Appalachian Research and Defense Fund of Kentucky, will get the the Muhammad Ali Kentucky Humanitarian Award.
Here are the detailed biographies of the honorees provided by the Ali Center: Continue reading “Ali Center to salute McCain, Gossett, three others at annual awards ceremony”